|“Jesus is a Liberal”?
By Joseph Prescia
I guess I just saw this bumper sticker one time too many yesterday, "JESUS IS A LIBERAL!" That phrase got under my skin, so to speak, so I decided to think this through. What are they trying to say with this message, “Jesus is a Liberal”?
1. They don't like the fact that Conservatives claim monopoly to God.
2. They believe that Jesus was more compassionate like other liberals are.
3. They get tired of being labeled "Anti-God" or "Anti-America."
4. They believe that the "POOR" Jesus spoke about in the Gospels refers to those who lack money.
5. They believe conservative policies generally favor the "rich" and neglect the "poor".
6. They believe that if you are not a liberal, you (conservatives) subscribe to "hate" language because you do not tolerate gay & lesbian lifestyles or any other Liberal idea.
7. They believe that Jesus promoted modern day "social issues."
I do not believe that the average conservative can be fully convinced of their "stand" when confronted with points like the above. Liberals are making a much greater argument when conservatives don't accurately know their Bible.
Jesus NEVER promoted modern day "social issues" like:
1. The environment
2. The right to affordable housing
3. Social Security and Medicare
4. Building public schools
5. Campaign finance reform
6. Gay and lesbian lifestyles
7. More money to solve so-called "social problems"
Jesus fed the hungry (Luke 9:10-17) to show reliance upon God and NOT man. Jesus performed these miracles through the power of God via holy spirit. He showed man's need to go directly to God. He never promoted a "man-made" financial program.
Jesus DID promote:
1. Mankind’s need for a savior (Mat 1:18-21, 18:11, Luke 1:57-79).
2. Reliance upon God rather than man (Matthew 6:19-33).
3. The need for holy spirit and it's ability to communicate between God and man (John 14:7-27).
4. The Written Word of God, the Bible (Matthew 4:4).
5. Loving God with your whole heart (Mark 12:28-31).
6. Loving your neighbor as yourself (Mark 12:28-31).
7. Christ as the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14:4-6).
Jesus really was a liberal. He was liberal with the power of God. Jesus was liberal with healing the sick, raising the dead, and casting out devils (Matthew 10:8). Jesus was liberal with sharing the Written Word of God as THE STANDARD to build upon. NO modern-day social program can be built upon the Word of God. Love comes from the heart by freewill thinking when an individual is ready to give, not by mandating a man-made social program. The “poor” are those who lack the spiritual power of God and His Word in their life, not the ones without money (Matthew 5:3, Luke 4:18).
So when you see the next bumper sticker that says, "Jesus is a Liberal" with a "Local Union" sticker on one side and a "Diversity" sticker on the other side, you can be sure it's all man-made promotion. Fear is the motivation to promote man-made social programs because one does not believe that God’s love will provide (I John 4:18-19). There’s a huge difference between a spiritual relationship trusting God to provide and a relationship with the five senses seeking God’s permission to support your man-made social programs (James 1:6-8).
For those of us who love God and His Word we know that a true “liberal” lives by a totally different standard according to God because God’s nature is to constantly give again and again and again (James 1:5-8). His power NEVER ceases. His love pours out liberally to His people (I John 4:4-16) and rains on the just and unjust. For those who really believe Him, receive from Him RIGHT NOW and have no need of man-made social issues. Yes, those who read the Bible and believe it naturally have a greater relationship with God than those who do not. We have the edge on those who want to compete with us using a fancy slogan purely for political reasons, “Jesus is a Liberal.” That slogan truthfully belongs to those who love God and His Word.
Return to main page